language is a member of the Ugric branch of
the Finno-Ugric languages.
Vogul and Ostyak
languages which are most closely related to Hungarian.
They are spoken
near the Ob’ River in westernmost Siberia.
- Hungarian has borrowed from various
Turkic languages. There is also a number of loaned
words from German as well as Slavic
- A modified version of the Latin is used in the
Hungarian language. The orthography
- The first written document in continuous Hungarian is the Funeral
Oration (c. 1200).
- There are several different periods in the development of the
Hungarian language: proto-Hungarian (until 1000 BC), ancient Hungarian
(1000 BC to AD 896), old Hungarian (AD 896 to the 16th century),
middle Hungarian (16th century to the late 18th century) and modern
Hungarian (late 18th century to the present)
- According to some sources, the oldest Hungarian language school
for foreigners is the Debrecen Summer University which
organizes summer and winter courses.